History of the Hotel “Alma-Ata”
“Hotel” Alma-Ata “- one of the iconic buildings of the city that defines its look with the 60s of the last century. The revolutionary architecture of the last century, the elite, one might even say, exclusivity. “Alma-Ata” was built a few years before the hotel “Kazakhstan”, and that it took all the distinguished guests who came to the capital of the Kazakh SSR from all over the Union. We suggest to remember how the hotel has changed over the years both inside and outside.
Facade, opening year 1967 th.
Hotel “Alma-Ata” was started to build in 1962 and finished in 1967. Authors of the project: architects N.I. Ripinsky, I.A. Cartas, A.J. Koss, V.G. Chirkin; Engineers: C.Kalamkarov, A.Brohovich and L. Shirshov . Eight-storey building, designed capacity – 520 beds.
Hotel “Alma-Ata» from 1992 included in the Register of Monuments of History and Culture, awarded a diploma of the show creativity of young architects (1968), Prize of the USSR Council of Ministers (1972). Business card of the building – a gentle curve of the facade. Someone compared it with a broken backbone of the Ili Alatau, one sees a bend bow directed towards the mountains. Afanasyev Moscow architect, speaking at the plenary session of the Union of Architects, held in Alma-Ata, said the hotel “Alma-Ata” no worse than the Moscow hotel “Russia”.
Information board of the Hotel “Alma-Ata”. Surprisingly, it does not have the name of one of the main architects – Ivan Afanasevicha Cartas, who graduated of the Alma-Ata Construction College. Today no one cannot explain why.
The current director of Hotel “Alma-Ata” Aydin Kuanyshevich Sultanov says:
– In 1967, the “Alma-Ata” was the only hotel that met all the demands of the times: a hot water supply, heat supply. If foreign visitors, pop, opera and ballet stars, the delegates of the different conferences came from all of the Union – all of them stayed in the Hotel “Alma-Ata”.
– Due to the fact that “Alma-Ata” is located directly opposite the Opera House, many opera stars stayed at us. For example, Grigorovich – he had just represented the “Fountain of Bakhchisarai”.
– Even when the hotel “Kazakhstan” was built and put into operation, “Alma-Ata” was still occupied a special place. Because it is a a theatrical, a cultural center of the city, is close to parks, public gardens, was close to the famous cafe “Theatre”, it was also called “Theatrical.” The hotel itself opened the famous restaurant “Issyk”.
A quote from the book by a former musician of the ensemble “Dos Mukasan” Arsene Bajanova titled “Alma-Ata an informal”: “Issyk” has long been considered the most prestigious pubs in Alma-Ata. The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel “Alma-Ata”, in the heart of the city, the so-called Brod. This is the place if there were more or less well-known cafes and restaurants. The “Issyk” tried to let only decent people. In other words, there was the so-called face-control, and if the doorman your face did not like, they could not let you in, even if you were wearing a suit and tie.
The first head of the hotel was a man, perhaps even more legendary than the hotel itself – Rakhimzhan Koshkarbaev. He first hoisted the Victory Banner on the Reichstag.
– It was very large in the moral, psychological, moral sense man, his name was known throughout the country. He was the most fair and objective, he was very accessible and close to his colleagues and staff, whether it be a plumber or a janitor, he knew them all by sight, by name.
Photographed by Alexander Osipov.
Zhansha Zhanasov, a veteran of the Great Patriotic War, he recently turned 90 years old. He was a close friend RahimzhanaKoshkarbaeva, they met at the beginning of the war:
– Rakhimzhan was an exceptional man. Not only because he hoisted the Victory Banner over the Reichstag. As a child, he suffered a lot of hardship. His mother died when he was two or three years. Father put him in 37th, Rakhimzhanov was then about 13 years old, and he was alone. Life was not easy for orphans. The relatives sent him to an orphanage in the town of Toy-Tobe in Akmola region. Then came the first five-year period, the shock communist construction, and the orphanage was set at a technical school, then it is called FT (factory training) at the Balkhash smelter. There he studied for a short time – the war began. Rakhimzhan had not even graduate from high school. In 1942, he was 18 years old, and he was drafted into the army. He came to serve in Kokshetau, where there was a spare 367th Infantry Regiment. And I was there too from Dzhezkazgan. We were sent on courses sergeants, that is the school of junior commanders. There we became friends. In the summer of 43rd was set in the officer’s school. In Frunze (now Bishkek) were evacuated the Tambov Infantry School, where we are also together in one infantry battalion, one company, one platoon, in one compartment. The beds are two-storey, at the bottom I was lying, and Rakhimzhan – upstairs. Then we really became close, as they say, day and night there, understand what a real soldier’s friendship. We have studied like that almost a year, and we were sent to the front in September 1944 in Brest-Litovsk, which was the headquarters of the Third Shock Army of the 1st Belorussian Front.
Photographed by Alexander Osipov.
– About how Rakhimzhan hoisted the flag on the Reichstag, he told in detail in his book “Storm”. I’ll tell you briefly: our main battle began April 16, 1945. April 17 I was wounded, received a perforating wound. A Rakhimzhan reached Berlin and really excelled. He was the commander of the assault platoon. And that he was instructed to hoist the flag of victory. And what is important, since Berlin fell on May 2 for all documents and Rakhimzhan hoisted the flag on April 30, two days before the official fall of Berlin, but not on the dome and on the column. To approach the Reichstag was almost impossible: in front of him was a square, and behind – the channel, but Koshkarbaev succeeded . And when the soldiers saw this red flag, the whole army with cries rushed to the Reichstag.
Rahimzhan’s originality expressed in his honesty, ingenuousness, credulity, decency. We have not seen each other for several years after the war, Rakhimzhan returned to his native land, in Akmola, participated in the construction Mointy-Chui railway seems to have been personnel officer. Then he went to Alma-Ata. We texted infrequently. Once again, fate brought us together in one sanatorium – Turksib. He has been married to Rachel, I also was married.
— It was the 61 th or 62 th year. Rakhimzhan worked in the special service, which was engaged in the placement of people coming to the Kazakh SSR from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. This work is supervised Ministry of Public Utilities, the Deputy Minister was then Atymtay Hisanov, a good friend of Rahimzhan. He just advised him to take time to build a hotel “Alma-Ata”.
— Koshkarbaev was the most suitable candidate, to head it. And until 1988, until his death, more than twenty years, he remained a director. He told me that it was not an easy job, because “Alma-Ata” was the first luxury hotel in Kazakhstan. There came the most important people from all over the Union, and required that there is always everything was on the level, but still had to find a common language with important people, and hotel staff, and this is mostly women.
The work with the women has its own specifics, but for Rakhimzhan all was possible. He was respected and as a director and as a person. He was very neat, always wore the perfect suit, polished shoes and demanded the same from the staff of “Alma-Ata”. Interesting fact: after the war, the German Democratic Republic was established team of shipbuilders name Rahimzhan Koshkarbayev. In the 70 years the members of the team came to the hotel “Alma-Ata”, to find out who this legendary man, whose name is their staff.
Photographed by Alexander Osipov.
– Over time it became better and we have decided that it is necessary to upgrade the hotel. I went to trips abroad, I have been in Malta, Germany, Turkey, gained experience. All I saw there, instilled here. Since about the mid-90s Hotel start date.
Reconstructed double room, 2014
– We made the reconstruction of rooms, starting with the 8th floor, so it was easier to change the engineering networks. Customers liked the new rooms, so then reconstructed the 7th, 6th floor, lobby, opened another restaurant. During the reconstruction, we combine two rooms into one, so that the guests become more demanding. Previously, numbers were only 16 square meters and designed at the same time for two people.
– In Soviet times, there was no “star” hotels. There were bits. The highest “A” – it was the “Kazakhstan”, the highest “B” – that’s us. Later, in the 90s, we were city council awarded three stars, to them we are, in principle, we claimed.
Anastasia Volochkova and Clara Novikova in “Alma-Ata”.
Walls “Alma-Ata” seen a lot of stars. Here time stops at different times Muslim Magomayev (lived in the three-room suite on the fourth floor), Iosif Kobzon, Oleg Tabakov, the collective “Kabachok 13 stulyev”, Klara Novikova, Anastasia Volochkova, and many, many others.
Team RUDN (KVN) in the “Alma-Ata”.
– I remember when Rosa Rymbaeva was still aspiring actress, she lived in our room and there for some reason busted toilet. Why i do not know. It was a dilemma: to present her claim or not. But we, of course, the toilet it simple. Although at the time, it was tough: you lived in a room, all have shown it works. Broke – pay. For example, the Pan Zuzya from ” Kabachok 13 stulyev “, Zinovy Vysokovsky, drank, excuse me, broke everything in the room. Broke and has not paid.
Picture of Meyrzhana Nurgozhina “Summer rain”.
In the 70s and 80s mere mortals get to any Soviet hotel was virtually impossible. “Alma-Ata” is no exception. 70% of capacity realized by the Cabinet of Ministers and the Supreme Council of Kazakhstan. There were special curators, who were directors of the schedule for arrival. Sometimes the load percentage and reached the top one hundred.
– And try not to dwell these people just “shavings will be removed.” And if in the hotel there are 520 seats, and comes 600 or 700? What could I do? At such moments, I had to leave home from work to hide.
In Soviet times, a suite in the “Alma-Ata” cost 7 rubles 20 copecks, the usual double – 4 rubles. Single – 3.50. Now the cost of the hotel rooms in “Alma-Ata” varies from 15 000 (single) to 28 000 (lux).
In 2003, a pale blue glass that balconies of “Alma-Ata” have been made, had to replace the popular while blue Alucobond.
– Glass fastened aluminum area that eventually rusted and was eliminated. We were afraid that this glass is will kill someone. Alucobond was then the most suitable material to be found.
“Alma-Ata” Hotel celebrates 47 years
– Naturally, you need to have something in it to change. Blue Alucobond plate look quite eclectic and did not fit into the existing architecture. So we have an idea of the reconstruction of the facade. What will it be – it is still unknown, the idea is still in development, but we would like to give the hotel some transparency.
For example, a project of the facade offers a British company Chapman Taylor.
Источник: “ИСТОРИЯ ГОСТИНИЦЫ «АЛМА-АТА»” – Voxpopuli.kz — сайт фоторепортажей №1 в Казахстане.http://www.voxpopuli.kz/history/1914-istoriya-gostinitsy-alma-ata.html